So you are buying a home in Arlington, VA and are wondering what are the pros and cons of working with a Redfin agent vs. a traditional real estate agent? For those who don’t know Redfin – it’s a company giving very juicy refunds to those who buy a home through Redfin.
First I want to express that this post is my personal opinion only – I have not bought a home through Redfin and have not had hands-on experience, but I know enough to have an opinion.
Pros of working with Redfin:
1. You will get a very juicy refund – and we are not talking about $100 here.
2. If you know exactly what neighborhood and house you are looking for – Redfin is great. Redfin is for a very savvy buyer.
3. There is a lot of transparency on Redfin – all agents are reviewed in real time.
4. I have worked with a few Redfin agents and they were very good – responsive and caring.
5. Their website is the best – I can’t believe all these other real estate giants can’t figure this out.
Cons for working with Redfin:
1. Redfin won’t help you figure out the best type of home or neighborhood for you. They will show you the homes you select, but they won’t be suggesting you Falls Church vs. Alexandria, etc. If you’d like someone to help you figure out the best neighborhood and type of home for you – you should stick with a traditional agent. It is a huge purchase and sometimes a large rebate might cost you more, because you won’t consider all available options.
2. Redfin will not be checking Craigslist or Zillow for non-MLS listings. Not all traditional agents check those either, but I do – just to make sure you don’t miss out on anything.
3. There will be a lot of people walking you through the process – someone will be showing you houses, someone else will be writing an offer, someone else will be helping you through the home inspection, etc. If you’d prefer a more personal approach you might want to stick with a traditional Realtor. If you work with me – I am your guide and advisor through start to finish.
4. You probably won’t build a relationship with a Redfin agent. Redfin agents have a lot of clients. Like A LOT. It’s a numbers game for them. You’re a transaction. If you’d like a more personal approach you should stick with a traditional agent.
I don’t think I could be a Redfin agent – it’s like a buyer/seller factory. One of the reasons I love this business so much is because I get to build relationships, get to know people pretty deep down, I get to take care of them. And if Redfin takes over – I guess I will have to find something else to do.
I would love to hear your feedback on this. If you had an experience with Redfin and think that I’m wrong, or if you have questions – I’m up for a discussion!