You don’t need to do anything to sell your house in Arlington, VA today. Well, maybe you should put a sign in your front yard and tell a few friends. Really. It’s a crazy real estate market in Arlington, VA – it is seller’s market on steroids.
So why bother with the transformations and making an effort? Why would anyone spend money to get their house ready? Why pay the commission?
Here are a few good reasons:
- The better you look – the more buyers will want it. The more buyers will want it – the more offers you’ll get. The more offers – the higher the price and the fewer hassles.
- A good real estate agent understands pricing and the process – so you can have a guide to navigate safely in the flood of buyers and offers.
- This is the largest (or one of) investment of your life – do you really want to cut corners and fool around? Why not leave this chapter of your life with pride and knowing that you gave your best effort?
I didn’t come to this country to be average and I am not here to just put a lockbox on your door. I want to make sure we squeeze the potential out of your home with the least amount of investment. I am your guide and I walk you through the process from A to Z.
Here’s what happens when you make an effort. Which condo would you want to go see?
We received 12 offers on this condo. It was listed at $400,000 and we sold it for $427,500. There was no home inspection, no appraisal and no financing contingency. My client was able to stay and rent-back for 2 weeks after the settlement for free and move on the day of her choice. I think the effort was worth it.
So what did we do?
- We painted the whole place – my sellers had 2 adorable dogs and lots of nail holes – so there was a ton of wear and tear. She arranged one day painters (but it took them 2 days – it was a BIG job). She spent about $3,500 to paint everything. We chose 2 colors – we painted hallway, kitchen, den and bath a darker shade to add drama. The condo has loft ceiling and very interesting angles – so we wanted to make sure it was showcased.
Take a look at the den – the darker shade really made it cozy.
2. Client replaced the carpet, even though I thought that only the bedrooms were in need of replacement. She had higher standards than me!
3. We rearranged the furniture so the condo looks spacious and photographs well. Notice in the photo below how all these treasured and beautiful belongings are competing for attention? And especially the large and distracting light above the fireplace. We removed it – so buyers focused on the expansive space and a beautiful fireplace.
4. We told the client to remove most of her personal art as it was a bit too small for the grand ceilings.
5. We brought in props to enhance some of the features. Take a look at the bath. Take a look at the dramatic plant and the impact it makes.
Here are a few more shots from the transformation.
The master bedroom – painted (even though the blue would have been good if the paint was in good condition), moved the dresser from a different wall and made it a night stand, added a lamp and some art.
Before and after guest bedroom. Painted the walls and moved the desk from the master to the guest bedroom.
Before and after kitchen. Client had off-white tile as a counter and I knew it wasn’t going to fly with today’s buyers. So we changed it to white Quartz. ($1,850) This was a MUST change that I asked for.
View from the kitchen. You want to remove large items, plants from the view – they make the space less open. And notice the change in paint color in the kitchen!
And that is that. My client didn’t care for staging and the staging props – I and removed them the minute we had a ratified contract, but the results speak for themselves and the photos turned out really well.
As for commissions – the total was 5%. (2.5% for me and 2.5% for the buyer’s agent) All staging was INCLUDED (but not the paint or new counters). This is the commission that most full service real estate agents charge – so why wouldn’t you do this? And learn so much in the process.
Please contact me today if you’d like time to guide you through this process from A to Z, help you make your home look like a model and get top dollar. I would be HAPPY to help!