My husband depended on the vitamins provided by delicious Courthouse Robek’s smoothies – at least a couple of times a week. One day last week he found a sign on their front door saying that the store was closed. So he is going through withdrawals (well, maybe not withdrawals, but close 🙂 and I am sad. I hate when small business in Arlington close doors. Any other awesome smoothie places near Courthouse?
So here is a simple way to calculate it. Your closing costs will be 2% of sales price plus $2,000.
So if you are buying a $400,000 home – your closing costs will be around $10,000. If you are buying a home for $750,000 – your closing costs will be around $17,000.
Read the whole story and a lot more closing cost details here.
So you are buying a home in Arlington, VA and are wondering what are the pros and cons of working with a Redfin agent vs. a traditional real estate agent? For those who don’t know Redfin – it’s a company giving very juicy refunds to those who buy a home through Redfin.
First I want to express that this post is my personal opinion only – I have not bought a home through Redfin and have not had hands-on experience, but I know enough to have an opinion.
Pros of working with Redfin:
1. You will get a very juicy refund – and we are not talking about $100 here.
2. If you know exactly what neighborhood and house you are looking for – Redfin is great. Redfin is for a very savvy buyer.
3. There is a lot of transparency on Redfin – all agents are reviewed in real time.
4. I have worked with a few Redfin agents and they were very good – responsive and caring.
5. Their website is the best – I can’t believe all these other real estate giants can’t figure this out.
Cons for working with Redfin:
1. Redfin won’t help you figure out the best type of home or neighborhood for you. They will show you the homes you select, but they won’t be suggesting you Falls Church vs. Alexandria, etc. If you’d like someone to help you figure out the best neighborhood and type of home for you – you should stick with a traditional agent. It is a huge purchase and sometimes a large rebate might cost you more, because you won’t consider all available options.
2. Redfin will not be checking Craigslist or Zillow for non-MLS listings. Not all traditional agents check those either, but I do – just to make sure you don’t miss out on anything.
3. There will be a lot of people walking you through the process – someone will be showing you houses, someone else will be writing an offer, someone else will be helping you through the home inspection, etc. If you’d prefer a more personal approach you might want to stick with a traditional Realtor. If you work with me – I am your guide and advisor through start to finish.
4. You probably won’t build a relationship with a Redfin agent. Redfin agents have a lot of clients. Like A LOT. It’s a numbers game for them. You’re a transaction. If you’d like a more personal approach you should stick with a traditional agent.
I don’t think I could be a Redfin agent – it’s like a buyer/seller factory. One of the reasons I love this business so much is because I get to build relationships, get to know people pretty deep down, I get to take care of them. And if Redfin takes over – I guess I will have to find something else to do.
I would love to hear your feedback on this. If you had an experience with Redfin and think that I’m wrong, or if you have questions – I’m up for a discussion!
Sellers are under no obligation in Arlington, VA to disclose if anyone died in the house you are about purchase. So if you are concerned about a lost soul wondering in your future home there is a solution: http://www.diedinhouse.com It sounds a little harsh, but that’s just life.
There is a nominal fee of $11.95, but it’s well worth the piece of mind.
You can read more about the creators of the website here.
Would you care if someone died in your home?
Why am I starting this Arlington Real Estate blog?
1. Because I want to deliver relevant information to Arlington real estate buyers and sellers. So I hope you find my blog posts relevant and helpful.
2. Because there are so many real estate agents out there and there is so little information about them. So when you choose someone to help you in making one of the biggest financial decisions in your life – you probably would like to know more about this person. I hope this blog will let you get a better idea about my values, perspective and expertise.
3. I love this business and it’s exciting to share this passion with you!
I would love to hear from you – if you have a question, a topic of interest- anything. I’m here to help.